I believe personal style can go a long way in inspiring creativity. I also believe that defining your style, falling in love with your closet again and trying new things can make more room for focusing on other areas of your life. For example, if you spend the time now to define your style, purge your closet and cultivate a wardrobe you love with quality pieces...that means less time worrying about what you will wear, what trendy piece to buy next and how to put outfits you feel great in together and MORE time to explore and be inspired in other endeavors.
Giving yourself a style refresh takes time and thought, but in the long run it can provide so much more freedom! -- So, what are some ways you can start refreshing your style now?? I've gathered a few tips and some of my favorite resources to share with you!
1. Define - This is an important piece that will help you take the first step and build your foundation for your style refresh. I suggest using Pinterest to help you with this! Take some time to explore your taste and sense of style. What makeup looks, hair-do's, accessories and clothing pieces are you drawn to? Do you already have Pinterest boards set up with these topics that you can look back on and explore? Maybe some of your pins need to be erased? Maybe there is a pattern in your pins that can help you determine the looks you are constantly drawn to? Work on this project for as much time as you need. Let close family and friends give you insight if needed. Explore Pinterest boards of people whose style you admire! Pin away to help you determine your sense of style and preferences!
2. Closet - This is probably one of the biggest elements of doing a style refresh. It can also be one of the biggest projects! Recently my husband and I went through every article of clothing we have in our home. We donated 6 boxes worth of clothes, I sold a few good pieces on IG and we cleared out SO many pieces that didn't fit, that we didn't wear and that didn't feel like us. It was such an amazing feeling to see each of our closets get cut in half. It was inspiring and exciting! Doing a huge purge really helped us see the holes in our closets and what pieces we needed to invest in. We ended up buying a few more pairs of nice slacks and shorts for Jon and I picked up a few flowy tops that I can wear during pregnancy and afterward. To prep for this project I referenced a ton of amazing resources that are worth looking into:
* The No-Brainer Wardrobe - An e-course on building an incredible wardrobe. So insightful and so practical! A great way to make your closet work for you!
* Un-Fancy Blog - How to create a seasonal capsule wardrobe. A minimalistic approach to getting dressed and being intentional. I especially love to see how she wears each of her capsule wardrobes throughout the seasons.
I used both of these and their great tips and pointers to create a closet I love. I also recently posted a video on my YouTube channel about falling in love with your closet that might be worth checking out!
3. Hair-Do! - Some of you may be aware that I recently made a huge change! I went from a boxed red to a fun and bold periwinkle color. It's been such a fun and refreshing change and I'm loving it so far! While I'm not suggesting that everyone go out and make a dramatic change to their hair, there is something to be said for treating yourself to a new hair cut and maybe a little color. If you prefer to keep your natural color, awesome! Consider just trying something different with the style of your cut or having your stylist do a gloss treatment to make your natural color look more shiny and vibrant. If you're game for coloring your hair, challenge yourself to try something a little different! The great thing about hair is that any cut or color your do is ultimately temporary. Why not play and try something you've always wanted to try?! -- If you're perfectly content with your color and cut, then I suggest taking a little time to try a few new hair-styles. Pinterest and YouTube are filled to the brim with beautiful hair tutorials. Try mastering a fancy braid or a new up-do! The more you practice doing different styles on your hair, the better you'll get.
Here are a few go hair-style resources to check out:
* Freckled Fox
* Confessions of a Hairstylist
4. Make-Up - It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of beauty products and I really, really enjoy make-up. Like a lot! I love all of the colors and looks that can be created. I also love that you can easily wash off your makeup at the end of the day. It's so easy to experiment and play with make-up. You can try subtle/natural looks to wear everyday, or bold/fun looks! Maybe it's time to go through your makeup bag? Toss out the old, expired make-up and hit up the drugstore (or Sephora) to grab a few things that need to be replaced. The best time to start experimenting with makeup is at night, before you wash your face. Sit in front of your mirror and play around with colors...you can even try out a tutorial! After you're done, just wash it off! Again, YouTube is an incredible resource for make-up tutorials and suggestions. You can find everything from natural looks to complicated and fun looks!
* Classic and fresh - Ashley
* Glam and bombshell - Tati
* Advanced techniques and bold looks - Jaclyn
5. The Care of You - If anything is going to contribute to your style refresh, it's your personal well-being and health. Be sure you are taking the time you need to care for yourself. Eat well, get active, have quiet time, grow in your faith, sleep, pamper yourself now and then, enjoy your hobbies, address personal struggles/hardships and take part in community with your friends. Having a healthy wellbeing and caring for yourself will give you such a glow and joy in life. Sometimes we need an outlook and attitude refresh before we can make good steps towards a style refresh. ;)